Due to popular demand, Outdoors Great Southern will offer another women-only, introductory hiking experience this October.
The course, comprising three workshop modules delivered between 10am and 3pm on 23 & 24 October 2021, costs $55, including the facilitated group hike.
Hike for Her
23 + 24 October 2021
$55 per person
The practical session covers all the basics to ensure you are ready to safely take on a hike, before the group gets together for a fun day hike at Point Uredale (formerly known as Point Possession) on the second weekend.
Topics covered include:
• Matching hike to your fitness level
• Realistic goal setting
• What you need to take, where to get it, and why you need it
• Principles of packing, ie: safety, temperature moderation, hydration, food and small items such as a phone
• Waterproofing your gear
• Blister prevention
• When to eat and drink, and what food is good to take
• Intro to basic navigation, starting with map awareness
• What to pack in your first aid kit and safety procedures
• What to do if you get lost!
There are also great topics to broaden your awareness, such as:
• The Leave No Trace principles, also awareness of cultural sites
• The Noongar six seasons
• Steps for planning a day or overnight hike
• Where to get more info and what clubs to join
The State government through the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries is a major supporter of the Hike for Her Program. Sport and recreation builds stronger, healthier, happier and safer communities.